An interactive half day advanced clinical communication skills workshop for District Nurses. Particular focus will be on having effective Anticipatory Care and DNA-CPR conversations.
Participants will work in a small peer group on scenarios related to complex shared decision making and communication about ACP and DNACPR when a patient is deteriorating with one or more multiple advanced conditions.
This workshop is for NHS Lanarkshire staff only
In this advanced clinical communication workshop participants will:
· Communicate sensitively and effectively with people and those close to them about serious illness, stopping treatment, deteriorating health and DNACPR
· Talk about Anticipatory Care Planning informed by an understanding of “what matters” to individual patients and families
· Respond to anger, distress, collusion and other complex emotions
· Manage people who have unrealistic expectations of treatment and outcomes
· Address communication challenges that arise when the person has impaired decision making capacity
Council Chambers, East Kilbride
Date: 06 Jul 2022
Time: 13:00 - 16:00
Dr Kerry McWilliams is a consultant in Palliative Medicine in NHS Lanarkshire. She graduated from Glasgow University in 2005 and was appointed as a consultant in 2015. During her specialty training in the West of Scotland she thoroughly enjoyed particpating in an EC4H course herself and was delighted to undergo tutor training in 2018. Currently acting as lead tutor, she enjoys the challenge and new learning experience that comes with each course. Her interests include Anticipatory care planning and promoting informed decision making.
Dr Mary Callaghan is a Consultant Paediatrician in NHS Lanarkshire. She graduated from Glasgow University in 1984 and embarked on a career in General Practice. Following completion of GP training she worked as a Community Paediatrician for several years but then decided to apply for formal training in Paediatric Medicine. Following successful completion of specialist training she took up the post of Consultant Paediatrician with an Interest in Neurology in 2002 at Wishaw General Hospital. She has long been interested in communication issues within the field of medicine and completed the EC4H Course in 2012 subsequently training as a course tutor in 2013