05 Oct 2023 09:00 - 16:00 Medical Education Centre, Western General Hospital £200
THIS WORKSHOP IS NOW FULLY BOOKED. If you wish to be placed on the waiting list, please select 'yes' to the 'Are you applying for our waiting list?' question on the application form
An immersive, interactive clinical communication workshop for Consultants and senior clinicians (Band 7+) which equips participants with the skills and confidence to have better conversations in challenging circumstances.
This workshop is open to staff from all NHS health boards
Working in a small peer group, participants will address communication challenges drawn from their own clinical practice, management and teaching roles. Common challenges addressed during the programme are:
• Complex, shared decision-making & informed consent
• Handling anger, emotional distress, collusion or denial
• Addressing and preventing complaints
• Being open about adverse events
• Multi-disciplinary team work; managing teams
• Addressing poor performance
• Appraisal & job planning
• Communicating as a clinical manager or with senior management
This clinical communication workshop offers participants the opportunity to:
• Review & evaluate their current practice in relation to communication in a wide range of roles and situations.
• Identify personal learning objectives and develop strategies for addressing these within a senior clinicians’ peer learning group.
• Critique and apply relevant literature/ theory on effective communication.
• Consider and take account of patient/carer/colleague perspectives.
• Identify and practise ways of increasing communication effectiveness.
• Exchange ideas and experiences with colleagues from other specialties
Medical Education Centre, Western General Hospital
Date: 05 Oct 2023
Time: 09:00 - 16:00
Dr Frauke Weidanz is a consultant in Critical Care and Acute Medicine in NHS Lothian, based mainly at the Western General Hospital. She has an interest in teaching and recently completed EC4H communication tutor training. GMC number: 6070477
Dr Linsay Brassington is Lead Clinical Psychologist for NHS Lothian’s Psychology for Staff Service, supporting individual staff and teams with psychological therapy, supervision and support. Linsay joined the EC4H tutor team in 2022 and uses this to enhance the support offered to teams across NHS Lothian. HCPC: PYL32180