08 Sep 2023 09:30 - 16:30 NES Offices, West Port, Edinburgh Free
THIS WORKSHOP IS NOW FULLY BOOKED. If you wish to be placed on the waiting list, please select 'yes' to the 'Are you applying for our waiting list?' question on the application form
An immersive, interactive clinical communication workshop for Scottish SAS Doctors which equips participants with the skills and confidence to have better conversations in challenging circumstances.
This workshop is open to SAS Doctors and Dentists only
To register your interest in the course email: email@example.com
Working in a small peer group, participants will address communication challenges drawn from their own clinical practice, management and teaching roles. Common challenges addressed during the programme often include:
• Complex, shared decision-making & informed consent
• Handling anger, emotional distress, collusion or denial
• Addressing and preventing complaints
• Being open about adverse events
• Discussing goals of care, levels of intervention and CPR status
• Communication in teams and effective handover
This clinical communication workshop offers participants the opportunity to:
• Review & evaluate their current practice in relation to communication in a wide range of roles and situations.
• Identify personal learning objectives and develop strategies for addressing these within a senior clinicians’ peer learning group.
• Critique and apply relevant literature/ theory on effective communication.
• Consider and take account of patient/carer/colleague perspectives.
• Identify and practise ways of increasing communication effectiveness.
• Exchange ideas and experiences with colleagues from other specialties
NES Offices, West Port, Edinburgh
Date: 08 Sep 2023
Time: 09:30 - 16:30
Dr Frances Yuille was a consultant clinical oncologist at the Beatson Cancer Centre in Glasgow before moving to her current post at the Edinburgh Cancer Centre. She was one of the senior clinicians involved in developing the postgraduate communication education programme in SE Scotland. She has been a senior tutor since 2004. Frances teaches a range of postgraduate courses and undergraduates at the University of Edinburgh. GMC number: 3249312