23 Feb 2023 15:00 - 16:00 Online attendance Free
A free online webinar for NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde Nurse Specialists, Nurse Practitioners, trainee Nurse Practitioners, Liaison Nurses who may be involved in anticipatory care planning conversations, in any setting. This online session allows participants to watch a real time interactive demonstration led by EC4H tutors.
Participants will have the opportunity throughout the demonstration to contribute suggestions and feedback to the tutor team via the chat box.
Susan Henry, 72-year-old lady, emergency admission with pneumonia. The ANP phones Susan’s daughter with information about Susan’s clinical situation and to discuss her care plan.
In this advanced clinical communication workshop participants will:
· Communicate sensitively and effectively with people and those close to them about serious illness, deteriorating health, goals of care and CPR.
· Talk about Anticipatory Care Planning informed by an understanding of ‘what matters’ to people and their families.
· Discuss treatment and care options and outcomes within a person-centred model of shared decision-making and Realistic Medicine.
· Respond to anger, distress, collusion and other complex emotions.
· Discuss the benefits and limitations of treatment in a balanced way.
· Address communication challenges that arise when the person has impaired decision-making capacity
Date: 23 Feb 2023
Time: 15:00 - 16:00
Claire O’Neill is Lead Nurse and Clinical Service Manager for Acute Palliative Care Services in Greater Glasgow and Clyde. Claire has been involved in delivering communication skills training since 2003. More recently working with EC4H and NHSGGC Lead for Realistic Medicine to deliver Realistic Conversations virtual sessions.