A free online webinar for Health Care Professionals who may be involved in future care planning conversations, with patients who have Motor Neuron Disease.
This online session allows participants to watch a real time interactive demonstration led by EC4H tutors. Participants will have the opportunity throughout the demonstration to contribute suggestions and feedback to the tutor team via the chat box
This webinar is open to all health boards
Lisa Scott is a 39 year old lady who has been diagnosed with ALS MND. There has been a rapid progression in her symptoms including difficulty swallowing, choking, upper and lower limb weakness and increased shortness of breath. Lisa lives alone, she has given up her retail role and is now struggling at home with frequent falls. Lisa has declined any support at home and has been reluctant to engage in conversations about the future. Our MND CNS is meeting with Lisa to explore future care planning
In this advanced clinical communication workshop participants will:
· Communicate sensitively and effectively with people and those close to them about serious illness, deteriorating health, goals of care and CPR.
· Talk about Future Care Planning informed by an understanding of ‘what matters’ to people and their families.
· Discuss treatment and care options and outcomes within a person-centred model of shared decision-making and Realistic Medicine.
· Respond to anger, distress, collusion and other complex emotions.
· Discuss the benefits and limitations of treatment in a balanced way.
· Address communication challenges that arise when the person has impaired decision-making capacity
Date: 17 Jan 2024
Time: 15:30 - 16:30
Claire O’Neill is Lead Nurse and Clinical Service Manager for Acute Palliative Care Services in Greater Glasgow and Clyde. Claire has been involved in delivering communication skills training since 2003. More recently working with EC4H and NHSGGC Lead for Realistic Medicine to deliver Realistic Conversations virtual sessions.