26 Apr 2023 19:00 - 20:00 Online attendance Free
A free webinar for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde staff focusing on Anticipatory Care Planning in a community setting. This online session allows participants to watch a real time interactive demonstration led by EC4H tutors. Participants will have the opportunity throughout the demonstration to contribute suggestions and feedback to the tutor team via the chat box.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 21ST APRIL (12PM)
In the workshop we will discuss treatment and care planning for an elderly patient with their family.
The session will look at effective ways to help people think and plan ahead. Clinicians need to be able to talk about emergency treatment and care planning e.g. Anticipatory Care Plans, goals of care, and planning for care around dying, including DNACPR discussions.
The RED-MAP framework supports these conversations.
John Watson, aged 80, lives alone at home. He is increasingly frail due to possible colon cancer, anaemia and heart failure and is struggling to manage at home. John wants to stay at home and has asked for his son/daughter to be contacted. The Clinician calls the family after the visit to agree a management plan
In this advanced clinical communication workshop participants will:
· Communicate sensitively and effectively with people and those close to them about serious illness, deteriorating health, goals of care and CPR.
· Talk about Anticipatory Care Planning informed by an understanding of ‘what matters’ to people and their families.
· Discuss treatment and care options and outcomes within a person-centred model of shared decision-making and Realistic Medicine.
· Respond to anger, distress, collusion and other complex emotions.
· Discuss the benefits and limitations of treatment in a balanced way.
· Address communication challenges that arise when the person has impaired decision-making capacity
Date: 26 Apr 2023
Time: 19:00 - 20:00
Claire O’Neill is Lead Nurse and Clinical Service Manager for Acute Palliative Care Services in Greater Glasgow and Clyde. Claire has been involved in delivering communication skills training since 2003. More recently working with EC4H and NHSGGC Lead for Realistic Medicine to deliver Realistic Conversations virtual sessions.